Sunday, May 11, 2008

My thoughts on Ubuntu 8.04

Well I installed 8.04 today, and I thought I would share some of my first impressions with you. First off my hardware, it is a out of the box Compaq Presario v6000 Running Amd Turion 64 processor with 1gb ram (yea I know I need more)

I chose to install 64bit version and since I have always had trouble with the live cd, I downloaded the alternate install disk. I am running a Windows free Laptop so I decided to just install Ubuntu on the whole disk. I popped in the install disk and let it work its magic. Installation was smooth, it took about 20 mins. First booting into Ubuntu I had to run a couple of restricted drivers one for my video card, the other for my Broadcom wireless adapter.

After a quick reboot, I have full wifi and full use of my video card. I tweaked a few settings in Compiz after installing Compizmanager ( I always wondered why that is not installed out of the box). I ran through and installed what was about 60 updates for various software etc.. Then installed my favorite apps like Thunderbird, Deluge, the new Gtwitter, and a few more.

Well everything is great, I have to say I really enjoy Ubuntu and always have. There appears to be less bugs with the display than there was in Gutsy. So I highly recommend that you download Ubuntu 8.04 and install it. Liberate your desktop, run opensource.

2 comments:

Tony said...

Hate leaving comments on old posts like this, but I happen to find myself upgrading a v6000 with the same hardware from 7.04 to 8.04, and I recall having a horrible time getting the wireless to work when setting up 7.04. Do you recall what you did to get this up and going with 8.04?

Greg said...

The wifi worked out of the box for me. Only thing I did when I installed was plugged in the network cable. Just go to Administration ---> Hardware Drivers and see if there is an option for Broadcom. Other wise you can find much more help by searching here

http://ubuntuforums.org/

Good luck in your endevors. BTW I installed 8.10 with out issue, may want to give it a try.