Sunday, June 07, 2009

HP mini 1150nr Review

With the onslaught of Mini notebook computers, and being an owner of a Mini notebook. I decided to take a look at the new HP Mini 1150nr Mobile Broadband Edition. I currently use an Acer Aspire One 160 gb netbook, only problem is I have to hack a way at it to be able to use 3G. Since the new HP mini 1150nr is through ATT, and I am an ATT customer. I set out to see if this new netbook meets my needs.

Specs:
Processor: 1.60ghz Atom Intel Processor w/ 512kb L2 Cache
Memory: 1024 MB DDR2
Max Memory: 1024 MB
Video Graphics: Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950
Video Memory: Up to 128MB
Network Card: Intergrated 10/100 Ethernet
Wireless: 802.11 B/G
Sound: HD Audio
Keyboard: 82 Key (92% the size of a regular laptop keyboard)
Touch pad: Touch pad mouse with Vertical and Horizontal scroll
External Ports:
  • 2-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader for Secure Digital cards & Multimedia cards
  • 2 Universal Serial Bus (USB) 2.0
  • 1 Headphone out/Microphone-in combo jack (iphone compatible)
  • 1 RJ -45 (LAN)
  • 1 notebook expansion port
Dimensions: 10.3 in (L) x 6.56 in (D) x 0.99 in (H)
Weight: 2.45 lbs
Power: 3 cell lithium-Ion Battery
OS: Windows XP pre-installed


One of the coolest features I noticed while playing with one of these at my local big box electronics store was the keyboard. Don't get me wrong I love my Acer but with 97% the size of a full size laptop keyboard, I don't think you can go wrong. There are a few features that are lacking in my opinion.

The restriction on 1024 MB memory is a bummer, I know I know. I am saying that you need massive amounts of RAM but 2048 MB limit would have been nice. The 80 GB Hard Drive is a bit lacking, with the Acer and many other models coming with 160 GB HD's. The only version available is pre-installed with Windows XP.

The overall design is nice, and the larger keyboard is a plus. The biggest sell for me is the fact that it is 3G capable through ATT network. Allowing me to have Internet access anywhere I go. With out having to hack away at my netbook to get 3G capability.

1 comment:

f2f said...

Interesting review. As someone who travels full time and works from the road I'm always interested in learning more about the latest netbook technology. I currently have an EEEPC and I love it. I got the 40G SSHD which can be a little bit of a pain size-wise but is worth it for not needing fans and being able to handle shocks better. And a portable 500G XHD makes up for the lack of space.

I've had HP in the past and liked them so maybe the next time I'm in line for a new laptop I'll take a look at this one.